Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Big Basket and IMAX

I'm a Big Basketeer! Big Basket is an online grocery service that I love, although I still try to do most of my shopping in the local brick and mortar shops. Prices are comparable to physical shopping. Delivery is free if you spend over 1000 rupees (about US $15), otherwise you pay a 20 rupee delivery charge. Express delivery in a couple of  hours also costs 20 rupees (30 cents). Big Basket requests that we don't tip the delivery men.
Scott is convinced that Snickers (35 rupees/ US 50 cents for a big bar) is a nutritious snack for those wanting to gain weight so he takes pleasure in eating one every day. He encourages Danny to eat one daily, and surprisingly, Danny doesn't want to . He craves variety. In any case, one week all the shops in our market were out of Snickers. We quickly ordered some from Big Basket and the next week both our market and BB were out of Snickers. We're convinced that we caused a Delhi-wide shortage. My friend the grocer alerted me when I showed up at his shop and Snickers were back on the shelf. I've got a deal with this grocer that if I spend 2000 rupees in his shop then he'll have the groceries delivered. That's when I load up on 1 liter cartons of Tropicana 100% juice and unrefridgerated milk, peanut butter and jam, tomato puree and bags of flour. I carry the eggs, loose in a  plastic bag.

We've been to the movies twice. We've only found one theater that shows movies in English and it's in a huge new 3-story mall about 30 minutes away. They have a giant IMAX theater where we saw Interstellar. It was awesome! The mall is clean and air conditioned and full of glitzy shops, including Fabindia. It's more ultra-modern than any mall I've seen in Utah. I imagine that Dubai has malls like this. I suppose the US probably does too.
Fabindia has great traditional and western style Indian clothes.

2 comments:

  1. Fabindias are all around the country and have great fabrics and clothes in all natural materials. My colleagues and I got some nice traditional outfits last year for the company Diwali festival. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's nice that you've been here and know what I'm writing about! Can you order stuff from Fabindia online from the US?

    ReplyDelete